Posted on Jul 17, 2019
A handful of companies are making millions off of ankle monitors strapped to undocumented immigrants in ICE custody. The makers pitch the monitors as an alternative to being jailed, but are they simply another form of bondage? Reporter Ryan Katz looks at what life is life while wearing one of these monitors. He untangles the complicated web of ICE, immigration bail agent companies, and the attorneys fighting them.
70 Million is made possible by a grant from the Safety and Justice Challenge at the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. The 70 Million podcast is a production of Lantigua Williams & Co.
Photo Credit: 70 Million; Caption: Floricel Liborio Ramos in Northern California.
Like this program? Please show us the love. Click here and support our non-profit journalism. Thanks!
- Floricel Liborio Ramos
- Armando Sandoval
- Mayela Sandoval
- Denise Gillman, Director of Immigration Clinic at University of Texas Law School
- Editor: Jen Chien
- Audio Engineer: Luis Gil
- Associate Producer: Oluwakemi Aladesuyi
- Marketing Specialist: Kate Krosschell
- Resource Guide Writer: Amy Alexander
- 70 Million Creator and Executive Producer: Juleyka Lantigua-Williams
- 70 Million Host: Mitzi Miller
- Episode 7 Reporter: Ryan Katz
Making Contact Staff
- Host: Monica Lopez
- Producers: Anita Johnson, Salima Hamirani, Monica Lopez
- Executive Director: Lisa Rudman
- Audience Engagement Director/Web Editor: Sabine Blaizin
- Associate Producer: Aysha Choudary
- Social Media Mixer: Jackie Marusiack
- “Ervira”, Blue Dot Sessions (open)
- “Symphony No. 2 in F Minor”, Percival Pembroke (open)
- “Svela Tal”, Blue Dot Sessions
- “Year of Glad”, Lifetrap – Johnny Ripper remix (credits)
- “Rise”, Meydan (podcast version break)