|Never miss a show!||Email Signup||Spotify||Google Podcasts||Apple Podcasts|
As relations between the United States and Russian governments continue to deteriorate, people are growing concerned that were on the brink of another nuclear arms race. Both the U.S. and Russia are modernizing their nuclear arsenals. According to Jackie Cabasso, Executive Director of the Western States Legal Foundation, its frighteningly easy to imagine how something could go wrong in that situation.
Women Rising Radio takes us inside the movement for nuclear disarmament, to meet the women on the front lines of the fight for a future free of nuclear weapons. From the US to Russia, the UK, Israel, the Marshall Islands and Japan, these dedicated advocates make the case for returning to the Nonproliferation Treaty and fulfilling its mandate.
- Jackie Cabasso, Executive Director of Western States Legal Foundation, Mayors for Peace, and Abolition 2000 Global Network to Eliminate NuclearWeapons.
- Abacca Anjain-Maddison, Marshall Islands Senator, member of Marshall Islands delegation arguing the case against 9 nuclear nations at the International Court of Justice.
- Kate Hudson, General Secretary of Britains Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and National Secretary for the Left Unity party in the UK.
- Nadezda Kutepova, born and raised in a secret city, in Ozyorsk, Russia, survivor of the explosion of the Mayak nuclear weapons plant.
- Sharon Dolev, Israeli Disarmament Movement.
- Fujiko Yoshikawa, writer, Rafu Shimpo newspaper in Los Angeles, Japanese language magazine TV Fan. She and her family lived in a village near Hiroshima in Japan, when the atom bomb fell August 6, 1945.
- Host: Sandina Robbins
- Contributing Producer: Lynn Feinerman
- Audio Engineer: Stephanie Welch
- Audio Recordist: Nicolo Scolieri
- Photo Credits: 8/9 Nagasaki Day Protest at Livermore Labs, photo by The Resource Center for Nonviolence rcnv.org via Twitter @RNCV1
- Fujiko Yoshikawa, Requiem Notes, visit our Featured Essays page for the entire story.
- Helen Caldicott, Nuclear Power is Not the Answer, http://thenewpress.com/books/nuclear-power-not-answer
- Samira Goetschel City 40, http://www.city40film.com/
- Western States Legal Foundation, http://www.wslfweb.org/
- Interview with Nadezhda Kutepova, Planet of Hopes, VIDEO, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifSiUvzh9A
- Israeli Disarmament Movement, http://disarmament.org.il/english/
- Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament Britain, http://www.cnduk.org/
- Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy, http://lcnp.org/
- Marshall Islands Lawsuit ICJ, http://lcnp.org/RMI/
- Nuclear Zero — and Petition for the Marshall Islands http://nuclearzero.org/
- New York Times Marshall Islands at UN Court http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/world/asia/marshall-islands-un-court-nuclear-disarmament.html?_r=1
- Nuclear Free Future, http://www.nuclear-free-future.com/
- Women in Europe for a Common Future, http://www.wecf.eu/
- No Nukes Action Committee, https://nonukesaction.wordpress.com/
- Fairewinds Energy Education, http://www.fairewinds.org/
- Solartopia, http://solartopia.org/
- Nuclear Age Peace Foundation https://www.wagingpeace.org/
- #HumanizeNotModernize https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO8qNGa5Me0