|Never miss a show!||Email Signup||Apple Podcasts||Google Podcasts|
Making Contact is Hiring an Online Community Manager
Making Contact is a non-profit media organization that produces an award-winning, public radio program heard on over 120 radio stations, and via podcast, SoundCloud, and more. Making Contact produces radio journalism feature stories that analyze critical issues and showcase grassroots solutions. Our aim: To inform and inspire people to take action and help build a just and sustainable world.
This is a full-time position, with generous paid time-off benefits and flexible hours.
Please read the job description below and find the instructions to apply at the bottom.
About The Position
We are looking for a passionate, hard-working and self-motivated person to develop our listening, sharing, and donor communities. The Online Community Manager will: drive growth in our web traffic; create audience engagement campaigns and opportunities, with measurable results; strengthen our online fundraising efforts; and expand our presence across key social media channels. Youll grow and engage our online listener base and help us increase our online donations by making our show more accessible, and by building relationships that expand our reach and deepen our impact. We use cool tools like Hearken for audience engagement! Applicants should have a passion for digital media, analytics, and communication strategies as well as a deep appreciation for Making Contacts mission.
This position is for an online community-builder and is at the front line with our broadcast listeners nationwide, and our web, podcast, and social media audiences. If you enjoy geeking out on metrics and stewarding relationships with people, we want to hear from you!
Essential Job Functions
- Design and implement outreach and engagement strategies to increase digital and social media audiences.
- Steward relationships with Making Contacts listening and donor communities through regular and creative communications.
- Post web updates to our website (www.radioproject.org), SoundCloud and other areas for distributed content.
- Publish the weekly podcast/RSS feed of content created by radio producers and send weekly email blast for new episode.
- Work with the development team to optimize email marketing campaigns including editing or authoring some of the program announcements and newsletters, and updating the email subscriber lists.
- Post to Facebook, Twitter et al; support teammates social media posts
- Curate content from outside sources, including print pieces, data-visualizations and other web-based elements to augment selected radio programs.
- Coordinate with our radio station affiliates and featured speakers for cross-promotions.
- Create outreach/engagement campaigns catered to specific episode topics (i.e., reaching organizations and key individuals in that specific field of work).
- Develop cross-linking, cross-promotional partnerships with other media outlets
- Develop metrics for regular tracking and reporting on: Audio listeners, website visits, and other reach, engagement, and impact data.
- Work with occasional contractors for advanced HTML or design work.
Ideal candidate: The successful candidate will have the following
- Three years of relevant digital marketing experience with working knowledge of content management systems, search engines, and related software tools.
- Bachelors Degree in interactive media, journalism, communications, marketing, or equivalent experience with strong skills in computing, logic and analysis.
- Goal and deadline-driven, with the ability to adapt to new opportunities and to the needs of a busy production schedule.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Experienced at growing online communities.
- Voracious consumer of digital media, including news, social, and streaming content on multiple devices.
- Ability to think and act as an entrepreneur, helping the organization to move in new and productive directions.
- A desire to collaborate with other independent media outlets and community groups.
- Familiarity with the world of progressive activists and politically active journalists, academics and bloggers.
- Basic HTML proficiency and understanding of Search Engine Marketing and optimization
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience supervising and coaching others and comfort being supervised and coached
- Well-versed with Google Apps (gmail, google drive, docs+spreadsheets etc.) Savvy use of project management software and systems.
- Power-user of Facebook and Twitter and familiar with Tumblr, Thinglink, Instagram, memes, infographics.
- Familiarity with online and terrestrial radio is a plus
Key Metrics for position performance
- Meeting deadlines for posting, emailing, and podcasting
- Collection and analysis of web statistics, email circulation and conversion of subscribers to supporters.
- Successful communications 1-to-many and 1-to-1 with key online ambassadors, resulting in an increase in our radio audience, fan base, and podcast listenership.
- Demonstrable experiments with our Hearken and MailChimp email messaging tools for audience segmentation, engagement and response.
Making Contact is a not-for-profit media group based in Oakland. We create and share media that helps communities be informed, inspired, and ready to take action. Each week we broadcast voices across the country that analyze critical issues and showcase grassroots solutions. We believe the story of communities organizing is part of the story. We are community journalists; fair, accurate and we fact-check diligently. Founded in 1994, the organization was known in the past as National Radio Project.
Our weekly 29-minute documentary-style radio program and web-production (website, podcast and apps combination) explores issues ranging from workers rights to environmental justice, reproductive health to criminal justice. Programs explore the structural/systemic roots of issues and highlight solutions, innovations, and organizing initiatives to give people hope and catalyze change.
MC is broadcast each week in 35 states, on 120+ radio stations in the US, Canada, and Australia across NPR, Pacifica, PRX, university, and tribal-owned networks. Information from radio stations statistics estimate 69,800 Making Contact broadcast listeners. Thousands more listen digitally. Weve conducted successful crowdfunding campaigns on the Beacon platform, and in the next year well be choosing a new CRM and moving to a new skin on WordPress.
Our content is reposted on related blogs and progressive change movement websites. MC is also heard across web listening applications like SoundCloud and TuneIn, Stitcher, FM Player and iTunes. Please visit www.radioproject.org for more information.
Making Contact is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual preference, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, disability, or economic status. We actively recruit applications from women, people of color, LGBTQ folks and disabled people.
To Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and links to your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use a subject line with the job title and your first and last name.