Posted on Nov 28, 2018
Transgender, Intersex and Non-Binary Identity
I Am Because I Am, explores the expansion of gender identity and presumed roles in our society. A look beyond the socially constructed ideas of what is male, female, masculine or feminine. Especially considering Trump’s administration attempts to redefine gender to be solely based on a person’s genitalia at birth. Thus potentially threatening Transgender, Intersex and Non-Binary Identity.
In this show we’ll ask the questions, what does it mean when individuals challenge specific societal expectations of gender? In the case of intersex individuals, how are these ideas of gender challenged? In the spectrum of “queer identity” how does one embody masculinity, femininity, or neither? And how are communities responding to the potential threat of erasure?
Special Thanks to YR Media for the feature, “Meet Me at The Club”.
Like this program? Please show us the love. Click here and support our non-profit journalism. Thanks!
- Sean Saifa Wall is a Black intersex man, advocate for intersex rights and former president of Interact Advocates for Intersex Youth. He is widely published, and works in intersex and HIV advocacy, and social documentary.
- Niki Khanna is an Associate Marriage and Family Therapist. She is also a certified Sexual Health Educator and has spent over 20 years working in Sex Education, Sexual Assault and Rape Prevention Education as well as Intimate Partner Violence Prevention Education. She identifies as a Femme, Intersex POC. She is passionate about finding ways to use the skills she has developed to contribute to the Intersex community. She provides workshops and mental health support to both the AIS-DSD Support Group and InterAct, two of the largest Intersex support and advocacy organizations in the country. She is currently developing practical training modules for mental health providers working with Intersex clients and their families.
- Eden Anaï Luna, Transgender Economic Empowerment Project at the Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Kray Lit, YR Media
- Terry Sok Wolfson and Aliyah Baker, Qulture Collective
- Chaney Turner, Social Life Productions
- Host: Anita Johnson
- Guest Producer/Freelance Reporter: Kray Lit
- Producers: Anita Johnson, Monica Lopez, Salima Hamirani
- Executive Director: Lisa Rudman
- Audience Engagement Director/Web Editor: Sabine Blaizin
- Outreach and Distribution Assistant: Dylan Heuer
- “That Hopeful Future Is All I’ve Ever Known”, Chris Zabriskie
- “Brushed Bells Leaving Home”, Daniel Birch
- “Lullaby for Twenty-Somethings (Johnny Ripper remix)”, Cuddle Formation
- “Baby Birch Heartbeat”, Daniel Birch
- “Caravan”, Blue Dot Sessions