|Never miss a show!||Email Signup||Apple Podcasts||Google Podcasts|
In the midst of police shooting community members and gunmen shooting police, and as the republican and democratic conventions wrap up, we look back at the history of secret surveillance and disruption of organizations dissenting and struggling against all odds.
COINTELPRO, the secret FBI project to infiltrate and disrupt domestic organizations thought to be “subversive,” targeted many African-American, Native-American, and other movements for self-determination by people of color in the U.S.. Between 1956 and 1971, the FBI conducted more than 2,000 COINTELPRO (Counter Intelligence Program) operations. Over the next two weeks, we’ll be broadcasting the documentary film “COINTELPRO 101.” Today we hear the first half of the film, produced by the Freedom Archives.
Special thanks to The Freedom Archives.
- Liz Derias, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
- Bob Boyle, attorney
- Jose Lopez, Puerto Rican Cultural Center executive director
- Lucy Rodriguez, Puerto Rico Independence movement leader and former political prisoner
- Ward Churchill, Native American activist and author
- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Native American activist and author
- Leonard Peltier, political prisoner
- Ricardo Romero, Al Frente de Lucha co-founder
- Priscilla Falcon, University of Northern Colorado Hispanic Studies professor
- Francisco Martinez, Chicano/Mejicano activist and attorney.
— WEB EXCLUSIVES —
For More Information:
- Freedom Archives-COINTELPRO 101
- Black Panther Party for Self Defense
- Puerto Rican Cultural Center
- Al Frente de Luche Cultural Center
- School of Unity and Liberation (SOUL)
- Ward Churchill Solidarity Network
- American Indian Movement (AIM)
- Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee
- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
- Mumia Abu-Jamal/Prison Radio
- Thirty Years of FBI Harassment and Misconduct-When the Truth Doesn’t Matter by Leonard Peltier
- FBI Witch Hunt Stokes Puerto Rican Independence Movement
- Geronimo Pratt on 60 Minutes
- Church Commission reports
MUSIC: Sinnerman by Nina Simone