|Never miss a show!||Email Signup||Spotify||Google Podcasts||Apple Podcasts|
Robert Neuwirth, author of “Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World”, estimates that more than a billion people–thats 1 in 7–are squatters. This week, we visit squats in Venezuela and the Philippines, and find out why squatters aren’t just tolerated…they are crucial to the growth of major cities and national economies.
- Robert Neuwirth, author of “Shadow Cities: A Billion Squatters, A New Urban World”
- Filomena Cinco, Barangay captain of Estero de San Miguel
- Luz Sudueste, Urban Poor Associates organizer
- William Gonzalez, Gladys Flores, Jacqueline Calderon and Yolimar Noriega, Toree David residents
- Andres Antillano, Universidad Central de Venezuela professor & activist for squatters’ rights.
Videos, Articles, etc.
- FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footage – YouTube
- Robert Neuwirth, author of “Shadow Cities,” on TED talks
- TalCualDigital.com: La Torre de David
- Slumlands — filthy secret of the modern mega-city
- Spain squatters take over buildings after foreclosures
- Land Disputes Slow Recovery in Philippines – NYTimes.com
- QC mayor signs city law to stop squatting | Inquirer News
- Success for squatting seniors as Stille Strasse 10 reopens
Music used on show: Licensed under Creative Commons License.
- Spectacled Cobra Simon Mathewson
- Night Creeper: Hellenica
- Haven: Lee Rosevere
- Pensacola Twilight: Lee Rosevere
- Grand Caravan: Blue Dot Sessions