On this edition of Making Contact we’ll explore how the privatization of public education is playing out across the country and how students and teachers are fighting back.
- Nuwar Ahmed, Philadelphia Student Union member
- Joanne Tien, Teach for America alum
- Su Jin Jez, assistant professor at California State University in Sacramento
- Justin Fong, Teach For America’s Vice President of Internal Communications
- Kerry Kretchmar, Caroll University professor
- Wendy Kaufmyn, teacher at City College of San Francisco and Save CCSF Coalition member
- Leslie Simon, teacher at City College of San Francisco and member of Save CCSF Coalition member
- Itzel Calvo, former student of City College of San Francisco and member of Save CCSF Coalition
- Ron Galatolo, chancellor at San Mateo Community College District
We start in Philadelphia and see how students are faring after 23 schools were shut down and 3,700 teachers, counselors and administrative staff were laid off.
Next, learn about Teach for America and how sending thousands of young, intelligent, idealistic teachers into classrooms may be doing more harm than good.
On this segment we go to California, where community colleges are under threat and City College of San Francisco is in Danger of losing it’s accreditation.
- Philadelphia School Chief Faces Down Budget Cuts and Crises
- Corbett’s ‘Ready to Learn’ Education Budget Favors Wealthier Schools, Advocates Say
- Philadelphia Students Head Back to School Amid Cuts, Fewer Teachers and Missing Staff
- The “Systematic Murder” of Philadelphia Schools
- The Color of School Closures
- Bill Would Stabilize Funding for City College of San Francisco
- City College Wins Reprieve, as Court Enjoins ACCJC from Terminating Accreditation
- City College of San Francisco’s Quest to keep its Doors Open
- City College of San Francisco to Lose Accreditation; Faces Closure in 2014
- Why Teach for America Kicked Me Out
- Why I Stopped Writing Recommendation Letters for Teach for America
- Teach for America: The Hidden Curriculum of Liberal Do-Gooders
- Yinzers Toss Teach for America – In These Times
- Teach for America: The Hidden Curriculum of Liberal Do-Gooders – Jacobin
- TFA: The International Brotherhood of Corporate Interests – Public School Shakedown
- Why Are So Many People Resisting Teach for America?
- About that professor who refuses to write TFA recommendations
- Teach For America: A Review of the Evidence – National Education Policy Center
- Teach For America’s Civil War
- Harvard student: ‘Don’t Teach For America’
- Why Teachers of Color Quit – Amanda Machado – The Atlantic
Our Community Storytelling Fellows are telling important grassroots stories.
Click the image and help us raise $3000 to support them by July 8th!