When you call 911, who answers the phone? How do they decide who to send to the scene, and how fast will they get there? We bring you a 2-part special—The Race to An Emergency, produced by KALW radio in San Francisco.
We follow the path of a 911 call, and along the way, encounter decades of mistrust that fuel a lack of confidence in the system.
Special thanks to KALW Radio.
- Lesley Phillips, Sharena Thomas, Peoples Community Medics co-founders
- Nikki Anjenique, Sharena Thomas daughter
- Rick Rocha, California Highway Patrol dispatcher
- Olivia Moy, Wolleen Jones, Oakland police Department dispatchers
- Terry Woodard, Oakland Fire Department Communications dispatcher
- Jason Murphy, Paramedics Plus dispatcher
- Tracy Chin, Rob Thrower, Oakland Fire Fighters
- Brian Murphy, Oakland Police Officer
- Regina Harris Gilliard, Johnna Watson Oakland Police Department spokespeople
- Benjamin Bowser, Cal State East Bay Sociology Professor
- KALW Radio’s “The Race to an Emergency”
- Peoples Community Medics
- Oakland Police Department
- Paramedics Plus
- Alameda County Public Health Department